Saturday 12 July 2014

Lifestyle | Book Review | How to Fall in Love by Cecelia Ahern




 It’s hard to think of anything I love more than getting lost in a really great book. It’s one of life's simple pleasures, and summer is a great excuse to stock up on the latest chick lit holiday reads. I am usually drawn to down-to-earth, light-hearted fictions that depict real life in fun and quirky ways. I love learning things when reading a book so a story with an interesting plot or twist is an added bonus, for example one that really stood out for me is Jojo Moyes’s, Me before You, which I read last year. Apart from being a standard boy meets girl tale, it also gave a really interesting insight into the heart-breaking and delicate subjects of paralysis and euthanasia.


 This year I was looking for a light and fun read with a subject that would really inspire me to take life by the horns and start a new adventure. I hadn’t read anything from Cecelia Ahern before, but this book caught my eye. The opening drops you right in the middle of a fast paced, exciting story and as I haven’t got the attention span for a slow burner, thought this would be great for me. 



The story revolves around Christine, a determined, self-help-guide addict who runs into a desperate, suicidal Adam, one cold night in Dublin. She persuades him not to take his life by jumping of a bridge and in doing so agrees to change his state of mind and save his life before his next birthday, which happens to be two weeks way.

The story follows Christine and Adam on an uplifting journey as their friendship blossoms and subsequently help each other overcome heartache, family feuds and guilt. Set in Ireland, the author takes you on a whistle stop tour of some of its most gorgeous cities. It made me long for a romantic city break in Dublin as it’s a city I have never actually been to, but would love to visit one day.

This is a great read if you’re feeling a little disheartened about certain things like I have been recently and helps reminds you why life is beautiful. It’s a lovely story about the importance of friendship and proves that at the end of the day all we need is someone there to listen, laugh and share life with.




How to Fall in Love is a funny, heart-warming and inspiring read. I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for an easy read to grab-and-go when jetting off this summer. Let me know if you have read any of Cecelia Ahern novels before, I would love to hear your thoughts and reviews.

My favourite recent recommended reads:

1.     Me before You by Jojo Moyes
2.     Where’d you go Bernadette by Maria Semple
3.     Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig